Monday, February 13, 2017

Virgin Coconut Oil Brands in the Philippines: a Comparison

I started using virgin coconut oil more than 2 years ago. I've taken it as food supplement and used it as lotion and moisturizer alternative, and I never went back to using lotion or moisturizer again. In those 2+ years, I've tried a few brands available in the Philippine market, but I always kept coming back to one brand.

First of all, what to look for in selecting pure virgin coconut oil?
  • explicitly says VIRGIN coconut oil in the packaging
  • cold pressed
  • provides manufacturing and expiration dates
How do you tell you're getting good quality VCO? Here are my two best indicators based on my experience:
  • smell - It should smell coconutty, similar to "latik" (you'd actually end up smelling a bit like food).
  • taste -  You should be able to taste fresh coconut in the oil. Stale coconut oil has a sour taste.

VCO Brand Comparison

Here's a comparison of the three virgin coconut oil brands that I've tried and what I like and don't like about each one of them.

SM Bonus VCO

I tried this brand because I was searching for a cheaper virgin coconut oil. I believe it cost about 149.00 for a 250ml bottle when I bought this about 2 years ago at SM Hypermarket. I only tried it once and used it only a few days.
What I like:
  • cheapest of the three brands
What I don't like:
  • smelled like rancid coconut oil mixed with plastic
  • tasted even worse than it smelled; I couldn't bring myself to swallow it.
Was it effective? I don't know because I couldn't bare to use it any longer. It was a waste of money for me, because at that time, I bought two bottles. I don't know if the SM Bonus VCO quality is like that until now, or it has improved. But I just can't go back to it.

Peter Paul VCO

Image source: Cory Quirino World of Wellness
I bought this at SM Hypermarket as well. It was one of the two brands available at SM. I don't recall how much it cost, but I think it was a little more pricey than SM Bonus VCO, yet a little cheaper than my preferred brand.

What I like:
  • a little cheaper than my preferred brand
What I don't like:
  • had a rancid smell like old, stale coconut oil (though not as bad as SM Bonus VCO)
  • tasted only a little better than SM Bonus, but I could still taste a bit of a sour, stale taste.

ProSource VCO

The image below shows my loyalty to Prosource VCO.
bottle 1: the one I use as moisturizer & lotion
bottle 2: the one I take as supplement
bottle 3: my sister's bottle




Among the three, Prosource is the best brand of VCO that I've tried, and this is the brand I went back to, and I've never changed brands since then.

This costs 195.00 pesos at Mercury Drugstore. At that price, I thought it was a little expensive, hence I started looking for a cheaper brand. But 195.00 for 250 ml that lasts me for more than 2 months as moisturizer and lotion is not expensive at all in my book.

What I like:
  • the food-like smell I described earlier - the smell of latik
  • no rancid smell
  • often comes with a free calming oil
  • tastes fresh and not sour or stale
What I don't like:
  •  None.
I like Prosource VCO a lot that it's the only brand I recommend to friends and family. One might contend that it was probably that particular batch of SM Bonus or Peter Paul that had gone rancid and not all of it is. But in my POV, that just speaks of the standard of quality that each brand has. And from my experience, Prosource VCO has always maintained its quality. I am sure that every time I buy one from Mercury Drug, I won't buy a bad VCO.

When I was starting, I thought all coconut oil brands are most likely the same, especially since they all claim to be virgin coconut oil. However, that isn't the case with these brands. Maybe you have a different experience than I did. Let me know and comment below. 

54 comments:

  1. Peter and Paul VCO is recommended. Its price is reasonable compared to Prosource. Quality for me is almost the same. The company behind it is a reputable one. Take VCO for better immunity and improve your quality of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carica VCO comes with different batches perhaps they get them from different sources. The taste and smell is quite rancid. The color is not consistent. The price is relatively cheaper. I would rather buy a reputable brand like Prosource and Peter & Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erratum: Peter Paul VCO

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOW MUCH WHOLESALE PRICE VCO KOL ME NOW 09124167044 09171386044

    ReplyDelete
  5. do use VCO in cooking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really, because a bottle of VCO here is quite expensive for cooking. I do buy commercially processed coconut oil as like Minola as cooking oil especially for frying.

      Delete
  6. Do you use VCO as facial moisturizer? How was it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do use it as moisturizer and as a very effective makeup cleanser. But now I use Argan oil as I find it's lighter on the skin or rosehip oil after having dermapen treatment to help with my acne scarring. All these are good, so I'd use any of them any time.

      Delete
    2. Where do you buy Argan oil and for how much???

      Delete
    3. Hi, I buy from Amazon.com. The first brand I bought was Pura D'Or ($14 that time) and just recently I bought from the brand Bella Terra Oils ($11).
      There is an Argan oil brand sold at SM (if you're from the Philippines) but be careful about it. I remember the sales clerk told me it was pure Argan oil, but then I checked the ingredients at the back of the bottle, and there were many additives. So it isn't pure.

      Delete
  7. ABSherbs taste like what Prosource described here .I tried it just now..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good. I haven't tried ABSherbs. I just buy ProSource as it has never failed me. I guess I'm afraid of risking getting a bad batch after spending money on it. :-)

      Delete
  8. You use it as lotion when going out? Does it feel sticky or does it dry out eventually?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't feel sticky at all. What I do is I apply it right after I shower. I find that it's best to use it when you're still wet from shower or you haven't patted yourself dry with a towel.

      Delete
  9. COCOLICIOUS VIRGIN COCONUT OIL is the best and highly recommended. It has delightful coconut aroma.
    ❤❤❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi we supply 100 ml coconut oil bottle. It is easy to carry when you are traveling. It is only 68 Peso per bottle and we can provide large orders.
    You can contact us at arthskov@gmail.com free sample can be provided

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is it edible? I heard using coconut oil is good to whiten the teeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is and is normally taken as supplement. As for teeth whitening, I'm not sure about that. But I have read that it helps with cavity prevention. It's called oil pulling. You can look it up to learn more about it.

      Delete
  12. CARICA Virgin Coconut Oil for me is the best right now. It has a pleasingly light smell and taste of coconuts.❤ I tried SM Bonus and Peter Paul. Compared to the 2, mas masarap yung sa Carica. It doesnt have that toasty roasted taste that Peter Paul has. I always check for the expiry when I buy and color and clarity of the oil is very important to me. I got mine and at Ever supermarket at commonwealth. I saw that it was from a fresh batch, Nov. 2017 lang maybe that would explain the excellent taste. I think meron na din sila at Puregold groceries.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard coconut oil can be helpful in eyebrows growth, is it true?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dona Jean, from what I know and based on experience, it's castor oil that's effective. What I noticed was the hair strands get thicker. I tried it for about a month, and I saw a difference. The result isn't instantaneous and it takes patience if you want to see results.

      Delete
  14. Hi Kimberly, as food supplement, could it be taken 1 tablespoon a day in the morning or before each meal? I would like to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Based on experience, if it's your first time, it's best you take 1 teaspoon if want to take it on an empty stomach (or 30 mins before breakfast) or you'd feel sick like I did. From there, you can increase your intake as your body gets used to it. The body needs to adjust. Otherwise, you can mix 1 tablespoon with your coffee. I've only tried this about 2-3 times. You may not like the taste initially or you might like it.
      Just don't have more than a tablespoon on your first time on an empty stomach.

      Delete
  15. Hi! Do you smell like coconut everytime you use it as a lotion? Because i dont want to smell like coconut especially outdoor. Lol. And do you leave the coconut oil on your face overnight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I do! But I like the smell of coconut oil. :)
      It's going to be very noticeable to you when first start using it. But the smell doesn't last that long and not really overpowering. If you're a woman and you do your makeup or hair before you go out, much of the smell would probably have dissipated once you're ready to go out. Plus the smell isn't something that a good perfume can't mask. :)

      Also, I do leave it on on my face overnight.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for the great info! Have a healthy & glowing skin all year long dear! :)

      Delete
  16. Coconuts are prolific across the tropical parts of the world and have been used for thousands of years as food source.

    For More Info Visit : virgin cold pressed coconut oil

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Kim, I've been using that VCO also as supplement and makeup remover for a year now and been reading comparisons of the different brands. Recently I bought the Nature's Coco VCO in Watsons. It's the cheapest so I decided to give it a try. To me this is the best since the flavor is very light and fresh as compared to the ones I have used. I don't really like the roasted taste or smelling like latik. It's a personal preference I guess but I suggest you give it a try ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Sarah, thanks for the recommendation. Sige next time I drop by Watson's, I'll look for that brand and try it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, ask ko lang po kung pwede din bang gamitin yung coconut oil na yan for hair growth. Naghahanap kasi ako ng magandang coconut oil for my hair and ano po yung benefits ng pagaapply sa kanya as lotion and moisturiser. Salamat po sa mga sasagot 😊

    ReplyDelete

  20. I just found this amazing website if you’re looking for a massage in your side!
    pure coconut oil in chennai

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. EasyPetsJune 28, 2018 at 2:18 PM
    It is feel good to know your experience. You can visit our website to know the real value of
    cold pressed coconut oil. We are one of the leading cold press oil sellers in India.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Are these VCOs also good for moisturizing lips? I am looking for an effective one but I don't know any brand to begin with. I need this for my dark lips. Thanks in advance for the response(s).

    ReplyDelete
  24. This blog is outdated. There are now better brands out there that uses more advanced extraction methods. AG Nutriceutical's Fresh Virgin Coconut Oil is my go to choice for it's high quality and affordable price. They use the centrifuged process to extract VCO. This gives the coconut oil a mild aroma and lighter taste compared to cold pressed VCO. Check them out on https://shopee.ph/agnutriceutical.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the really informative post.. Keep doing up like this
    ## cold pressed oil in chennai

    ReplyDelete
  26. have you heard COCOWONDER brand ? most of their products are made from organic virgin coconut oil you can visit their website here http://www.cocowonder.com.ph/

    and what excites me more is when i've read the feedback from there online store in lazada https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/cocowonder-extra-virgin-coconut-oil-500ml-i3947507-s4814017.html?spm=a2o4l.searchlist.list.3.5a4fe224mo3F3Q&search=1

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi, ask ko lang din po if it's ok to apply a moisturizing cream just after applying VCO?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Ms. KImberly, Thank you for this info infact it have an idea on what to choose bet prosource and abs vco. By the way may I ask you if the vco you use as food supplement is the same kind of vco you use as moisturizer or lotion? Because I coudnt find any vco that is exclusively for moisturizing, only food supplement? Any idea? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Use same. Just make sure use a diff bottle for your food supplement consumption.

      Delete
  29. Hi, love this blog. I just starting to use it today as a food supplement and moisturizer and it feels good.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nowadays, people are more concern about their healthy life. For this, they prefer everything naturally including the basic needs. So, we can use Marachekku Oil in Bangalore for the strong and the healthy life.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like your blog thanks for sharing it have a look at marachekku ennai

    ReplyDelete
  32. gramiyum cold pressed oil is my favorite,” says Sara Haas, RD, LDN, a chef in Chicago and spokeswoman for the American Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. cold pressed cocunut oil is considered to be one of the most versatile natural oils today.

    ReplyDelete
  33. mustard oil for hair is often applied externally, especially during massages. The oil has high levels of vitamin E, which helps improve skin health.mustard oil and olive oil are both high in unsaturated fats and low in matured fats. This means that they are healthier than other oils that are higher in saturated fats.coconut oil doesn’t turn into fat. This is becausecoconut oil cold pressed contains medium-chain triglycerides (MCT), a body fuel that’s easy to burn without transforming to fat.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Peter and Paul coconut oil enabled the quick recovery of my Aunt from being unable to walk (due to age & muscle depletion) and having dementia - to standing up in her own and walking a short distance & improved memory for only less than two weeks! Remember, oils and food products that stay fresh long have harmful preservatives. Food expires after a short while AS NATURE INTENDED

    ReplyDelete
  35. copper jug for water is one of the few trace minerals essential to the human body. The correct functioning of the thyroid gland depends on the amount of copper you have in your system.

    ReplyDelete
  36. There's a better vco than Prosource.

    ReplyDelete
  37. #MAHAA Brand (https://mahaastores.com/) is one of the best kitchenware brand in the world. We produce kitchenware's, Cookware's, Tableware's, Hotelwares and stainless steel gift set products. Buy Jumbo Casserole | | With Lid -60000 ML. Mahaa Store offers best Kitchenware Items like Cookware, Tableware and hotelware online. Call +91 8144034433 for more details. Check mahaa Stores online!

    ReplyDelete
  38. We manufacture Sildenafil Super Active Tablets for smooth muscle relaxation allows increased blood flow into certain areas of the penis, sexual arousal in harsh, prolonged erection for maximum sexual performance.

    ReplyDelete